perjantai 15. lokakuuta 2010

Best of Autumn

Time to prepare for those long, cold winter nights, time to make pickles, jams and jellies. I've tasted the pickled cucumbers I made about a month ago, and hmm... I don't think they were quite the success I was hoping for. They still look pretty in their glass jars in my cellar, but the taste leaves something to be desired for, or rather they are quite hard, not really pickled enough. But as I have a tree full of apples, and I've eaten as much apple goodie as I can, it was time to make some mashed apple sauce. I love it with some oatmeal porridge, or with crepes or toast.

There's no need to peel the apples, but wash them well, and cut in to lobes. For this size of saucepan I used less than desilitre of water, it is there just to prevent the apples from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Let them soften in the boiling water for few minutes, the less you cook them, the more vitamins there will be left.

Then grind or mash them.

Add some sugar and I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon. Keeps well in the freezer or in clean glass jars.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti