keskiviikko 26. elokuuta 2009

Princess porridge

Went for a walk in the woods the other day, and came home pockets full of these, the lingonberries were simply too tempting to be left there. I decided to have them as a dessert and made this whipped berry porridge, the Swedes call it appropriately “Princess porridge”. You can make it out of cranberries or currants or just the juice of those, and I'm determined on trying also rowan berries this year.

1 litre water
4 dl berries
½ dl sugar, or to taste
1 ¼ dl coarse semolina flour (in Finnish it's called “mannaryyni”, and it's the same stuff as semolina flour, but I think coarser. So, to be honest, I'm not really sure, whether the regular semolina flour works here. If you are brave enough to try, please let me know, because I've always wanted to know.)

Boil water and berries for 15 minutes. Pour the mix through a sieve, so that you'll end up with just the juice, add sugar and whisk the semolina flour into the hot liquid. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, then let it cool and whisk the porridge, it will become light and fluffy, like mousse. Best enjoyed with cold milk, I think.

2 kommenttia:

  1. This look so incredible! The color- the name- everything about it.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Mmm. We have nothing like the lingonberry. Nothing.

    VastaaPoista